Name: Sánchez Segrelles, Enrique
Place and birth date: Madrid. April, 7th 1940
e-mail: [email protected]
TEACHING AND ACADEMIC ACTIVITY
As head of the department of Human Reproduction for the women’s health clinic. Gave weekly monographic seminars on different themes of Human Reproduction and daily clinical sessions with his medical and research team. From the clinic creation in 2000 until its end in 2008.
In 1986, Course Director of “Advances in Human Reproduction”. University Menéndez Pelayo. Attended by some of the most prestigious specialists in the world in this field of work. A Coruña
Initially as consultant doctor and later as Head of the Department of Gynaecology of the Ciudad Sanitaria Juan Canalejo de A Coruña, currently known as CHUAC, I participated in the training of student doctors and physicians from their first to fourth years of study. Clinical sessions, consultations, complementary examinations, births and specialist surgery. 1974-1982 and 1984-1986.
Lecturer in the II National Symposium on human sterility and infertility. Diagnostic and treatment centre, Concepcion Arenal, Santiago de Compostela. 1983.
- Course on reproduction and fertility. Genetic, hormonal, extragonadal and immunological alterations. Ciudad Sanitaria Juan Canalejo, A Coruña, CHUAC. 1983.
- Course on pathology of the ovary. Ciudad Sanitaria Juan Canalejo, A Coruña, CHUAC. 1976.
- Gynaecological endoscopy course. Hospital Hotel Dieu, Paris. (Professor Musset) 1975.
- Course on ultrasound in obstetrics and Gynaecology, Santiago de Compostela. 1975.
- First prize from the Scientific Committee of the XI National Conference of Andrology (ASESA) (Málaga, 10-12 of April 2003) for the paper: “SpermChromatin Dispersión” (SCD) test: a simple method for the determination of sperm DNA fragmentation. J L Fernandez, L Muriel, R Vazquez, M Gutierrez, E Huguet, B Peramo, E Segrelles, V Goyanes, J G Alvarez.
- First prize from the Scientific Committee of the 24th National Conference of the Spanish society of fertility (SEF) (Palma de Mallorca, 23-24 May 2002) for the paper: Docosahexaenoic acid corrects a lipid defect in germ cells and sperm from the epididymis and increases the production of sperm in mice CFTR-/-. J G Alvarez, M Ollero, S D Freedman.
- Second prize from the Scientific Committee of the first Conference of the Spanish Association for the study of the biology of the reproduction (ASEBIR) (Murcia, 25-26 October 2001) Paper: Ultrastructure of whole spermatozoa in hyperosmotic state (HOST). V Goyanes, A Delgado, J L Fernández, N Gutierrez, A Campos, J Alvarez, E Segrelles.
- During these last years, as head of the assisted human reproduction, in the women’s unit, the following works have been published:
- “Fragmentation of DNA in subpopulations of spermatozoa in different stages of maturation”
- “Use of the study of the structure of the sperm chromatin in the diagnosis and treatment of infertility”
- “DNA Breakage Detection-FISH (DBD-FISH)”
- “Detection of genetic damage in human sperm by DBD-FISH”
- ” Docosahexaenoic acid corrects a lipid defect in germ cells and semen of the epididymis and increments the products of sperm in mice”
- “The sperm chromatin dispersion (SCD) test: a simple method for the determination of sperm DNA fragmentation”. JL Fernandez, Muriel M, Rivero MT, Goyal V, Vazquez R, Álvarez JG. JOURNAL OF ANDROLOGY 2003 Jan-Feb; 24 (l): 59-66.
The SCD test created by ARGGORA Unidad de la Mujer, was presented to measure the integrity of the DNA in human semen. The test is being studied thanks to a grant given by the Xunta (PGIDIT01 BIO02E).
Clinical Validation of the SCD test along with collaboration from various research centres, looking at the structure of the nucleus of the human sperm and the basal damage of their DNA in comparison to the leukocytes using digestive enzymes “in situ”, in addition to analysis of digital imaging. The study is being carried out in collaboration with Dr. Jaime Gosálvez, lecturer in Genetics in the Universidad Autónoma in Madrid.
Mathematical characterisation of the human embryos obtained using FIV and ICSI techniques of assisted fertilisation.
The Project was carried out with the collaboration of Dr. Eduardo Costas, of the Veterinary Faculty of the Universidad Complutense in Madrid. The aim was to determine more objective criteria tan those currently used to measure the quality of embryos in order to pick those embryos of highest quality for transfer to the mother.
LETTERS TO CONGRESS
- Goyanes V, Delgado A, Fernández JL, Gutiérrez M, Campos A, Segrelles E. Ultrastructure of sperm in hyposmotic state (HOST). Read Congreso ASEBIR, Murcia, 2001. 2o Premio a la mejor ponencia. Revista Iberoamericana de Fertilidad. Comunicación Oral – 10, vol 18, 4 – July-August 2001.
- Muriel L, Teresa Rivera M, Vázquez R, Álvarez JG, Goyanes V, Fernández JL. Detection of genetic damages in human sperm via DBD-FISH. II Seminario de Citogenética. Miraflores de la Sierra (Madrid). 6-9 June 2002.
- The “SpermChromatin Dispersión” (SCD) test: a simple method to determine the DNA fragmentation of Sperm Fernández JL, Muriel L, Vázquez R, Gutiérrez M, Huguet E, Peramo B, Segrelles E, Goyanes V, Álvarez JG. XI Congreso Nacional de Andrología. Málaga, 10-12 April, 2003.
- fragmentation of sperm DNA following a febrile episode. Álvarez JG, Vázquez R, Muriel L, Martínez I, Huguet E, Peramo B, Segrelles E, Goyanes V, Fernández JL..XI Congreso Nacional de Andrología. Málaga, 10-12 April, 2003.
- Preservation of semen samples for the detection of DNA fragmentation using the SCD test (SpermChromatin Dispersion). L. Muriel, M, t: Rivero, S. Rodríguez, R, Vázquez, I. Martínez, E. Huguet, M. Gutiérrez,, B. Peramo, E. Segrelles, V. Goyanes, J.L. Fernández. II Congreso de la Asociación para el estudio de la Biología de la Reproducción (ASEBIR). Granada, 11 and 12 December 2003. Revista ASEBIR 8:101,20
- Preliminary comparative study of the SCD test with semen parameters. R. Vázquez, L. Muriel, E. Huguet, M. Gutiérrez, I. Martínez, J.L. Fernández, V. Goyanes, B. Peramo, E. Segrelles. II Congreso de la Asociación para el estudio de la Biología de la Reproducción (SEBIR). Granada, 11 and 12 December 2003. Revista ASEBIR 8:119.
SUMMARY OF CORRESPONDENCE WITH THE SPANISH SOCIETY FOR FERTILITY
- Title: Measuring quality in human oocytes: (I and II). The connection between asymmetry and the capability to form a pregnancy.
- Authors: E. Costas, V. López-Rodas, E. Huguet, I. Martínez, R. Vázquez, M. Gutiérrez, E. Segrelles, J. Bayo, B. Rodríguez, J.L. Fernández, V. Goyanes.
- Services and Centres: Genética, Fac. Veterinaria, UCM Madrid. ARGGORA Unidad de la Mujer (A Coruña). Sec. Genética y U. Investigación. Hosp. Juan Canalejo (A Coruña).
- Title: Structure and DNA basal damage of Human Sperm studied via DBD-FISH y mareaje enzimático “ihsituf, in additional to analysis form digital imaging..
- Authors: J.L. Fernández, L. Muriel, V. Goyanes, J. Gosálvez, E. Huguet, M. Gutiérrez, R. Vázquez, I. Martínez, J. Bayo, E. Segrelles.
- Services and Centres: Sección de Genética-Unidad de Investigación, Complejo Hosp. Univ. Juan Canalejo. ARGGORA, Unidad de la Mujer (A Coruña). Unidad de Genética, Fac. Biología, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid,
- Titles: Development of a KIT to determine the level of DNA fragmentation in Sperm using the sperm chromtin dispersion test (SCD).
- Authors: J.L. Fernández, V. Goyanes, L. Muriel, S. Rodríguez, E. Huguet, M. Gutiérrez, R. Vázquez, I. Martínez, J. Bayo, E. Segrelles, J. Gosálvez.
- Services and Centres: Sección de Genética-Unidad de Investigación, Complejo Hosp.Univ. Juan Canalejo. ARGGORA, Unidad de la Mujer (A Coruña). Unidad de Genética,Fac. Biología, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
NOTE. All papers for conferences, Publications and other research projects as well as the Awards merited were carried out by a research team led by me, where the professors Goyanes Villaescusa, Gosálvez, Gallardo, Alvarez and others actively participated. The doctors Fernández, Bayo, Peramo, Vilar and others, as well as Bioembrologists Rosana, Iria, Marta, Huguet, Muriel and others.
For several years we were granted scholarships of research and development by the Xunta de Galicia
Our collaborations with Fertility and Repoduction Deprtments from American universities were frequent and constant and you can search online for more information under Segrelles reproduction.
SOCIETIES (TO WHICH ONCE WAS MEMBER OR IS CURRENTLY MEMBER)
- Member of the Spanish society of fertility (SEF).
- Member of the European society of reproduction (ESREI).
- Member of the American fertility society.
- Member of the Spanish society of Psychosomatic Medicine.
- Member of the International Association of psychosomatic Gynecology.